Saturday, December 4, 2010

Wilson Phillips — Exclusive interview with Carnie Wilson

Christmas In Harmony
Sony Masterworks

With the release of Wilson Phillips’ Christmas in Harmony CD Carnie Wilson, Wendy Wilson and Chynna Phillips have returned to their original pop form. Carnie Wilson took time out of her busy schedule to discuss the new release.
          
David Beard: What inspired this release?
Carnie Wilson: Christmas in Harmony came about when Sony Masterworks called us wanting a Christmas CD.  The three of us were actually talking about recording a Christmas CD at my home for this year anyway.  Funny it worked out like that.  It's great have a major label behind us!!  We're grateful.

DB: What are your favorite Christmas memories?
CW: My favorite Christmas memories have always been the same thing: the classic Christmas songs by The Beach Boys, The Carpenters, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Barbara Streisand and the feeling that all those songs evoke during the holidays.  I love the families getting together and opening presents and eating the amazing food!!!!!  Now, with our children in our lives... Christmas is at a WHOLE NEW LEVEL OF LOVE AND APPRECIATION!!!!!

DB: What do you hope the listener feels form this new release?
CW: I hope the listener feels great and can sing along as they listen to our renditions.  I hope they listen to it year after year and decorate a tree, cook some food, sit with loved ones and just appreciate being alive and together.  It's like a gift to them!!

DB: What is the highlight on the new Christmas album for you? 
CW: I really love every song and each one has a special meaning to me, but the highlight of our CD would have to be my Dad's [Brian Wilson] song “Our Prayer” and my husband's [Rob Bonfiglio] song “Warm Lovin' Christmastime.” [*Note: Bonfiglio performs his renditiontrack also appears on SideB Music’s new holiday compilation Rockin’ The Mistletoe.]  “Our Prayer” is bone chilling and probably the most beautiful vocal piece I have ever heard in my life.  I have listened to it since I was a little girl.  It truly takes my breath away.  Dad told me he thought it was "better than the Beach Boys". I laughed and said, “No Dad, it's  just OUR version.”  He then told me that Bach inspired him to write that. I almost wet my pants!!!! I am his daughter, but I am a fan too. He blows my mind.  Rob's song is my favorite mix on the record.  Catchy, spirited and just has a great feeling.  He's so talented.  I'm so happy we recorded it!!!

DB: Whose decision was it to record "Our Prayer" for this collection?
CW: The funny thing is I can't remember if it was Wendy's or my idea to record Our Prayer! I didn't have the faintest idea of how we were gonna tackle those parts (other than Dad doing it with us). Dad was on the road when we were in the studio  and I asked  my husband Rob to figure out the parts and help give us direction. He studied it for literally 10 minutes in his studio and put scratch vocals of the entire song. He then made a click track for the specific changing of tempos himself and guided us in the studio, giving us our parts. It was the single most challenging thing I have ever had to sing. The vocals were so intricate, and I had to sing the BASS notes. I must say I am very proud of myself. I don't know how I got that low... angels were there with me. Maybe Carl. XOXO

DB: What can fans anticipate from Wilson Phillips in 2011?
CW: Wendy, Chynna and I are committed to recording more records forever!!! We are touring as well. It's just a balancing act for us all between our 9 children!!!!! More to Come in 2011.... definitely touring dates in the USA and possibly overseas. Our next CD?  Well.... we might be starting a new album with our magnificent producer Glen Ballard in January.  We got the bug with him BIG TIME after reuniting for this Christmas CD!!!!

DB: Are there any guest vocal appearances on this collection?
CW: There are no guest vocal appearances on this CD.... just the three of us.  Maybe the next one!!!  Thank you to our fans, for always listening and buying our records. We do it for you!!!!!

The collection is also available digitally via iTunes and Amazon.com

1 comment: